slay the spire

just in case people still want to talk about the game weve already all put over a hundred hours into

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Re: slay the spire

Post by Juri » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Bracketbot wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 pm
Juri wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 pm
Juri wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 pm My ascension 18 victory involved me taking Dead Branch by accident on a runic pyramid run! I bought strange spoon to mitigate the hand overflow and everything worked out great. One of the most fun runs I've ever had.
https://i.imgur.com/Y7h5OUO.png
wow, nice!
my cards and relics were extremely powerful; exhume rebuying apparitions is a completely unreasonable thing to be able to do. however it was a constant struggle to keep my hand in manageable shape and the heart fight was incrediblu tense as i got to the verge of bricking completely and just barely managed to cycle out of it

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Exhume is so damn strong once you have a few good hits.

Stuff like Apparition, Offering and Reaper are all really obvious, but lately I've been enjoying the occasional rebuy of Disarm too. In some fights you don't want to draw any copies of Disarm at all, but in other fights it's the strongest card in your deck, so being able to rebuy bonus copies only when you actually need them feels great

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Juri wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:16 pm 2/5 classes down. three more and i can start adding class and relic mods!
wait wait wait, there are 5 now??

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:25 pm

i think there are still only 4 official and she means the farmer or whatever the name of that custom class is
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Hayseed. I do still need to beat Hayseed. The way she phrased it made it sound like there was a 5th official one.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:10 am

:omg:
u gotta skate

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 am

Juri wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:01 amtake this:
:morph:
The heart awaits.
My own handwriting? How could it be?

These supplies are a rare stroke of fortune to be sure. I shall leave behind something with this note. It appears all is not as it seems in this strange place.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 09, 2021 10:49 am

Crunchums wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:10 am
:omg:
now that i actually know how to play the game theres some really cool jorbs runs out there
its still kind of weird to have known him as a poster and seen his for-fun xcom videos and stuff

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon May 10, 2021 6:42 am

Speaking of Jorbs his long-abandoned ironclad individual card reviews are coming back. Hell yes.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 1:46 pm

Gonna crosspost my playthrough of slay the spire mod The Edgeheg that i posted elsewhere. The Edgeheg mod is available here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2290191145

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Starting deck looking good.

Time for my first card reward!

my second node is a shop

Unlike many mods, the Edgeheg's cards are like the baseline game's ones and all start hidden in the compendium.  You have to discover them through experience. This shop gives me my first insight into what the class is all about. Surprisingly it looks like the mod maker has even added to the colorless card pool! I wonder if those appear on runs with other classes. In any event, I bought Badass Arsenal from this shop. Having more guns is like having bonus strength, except it only works on cards to do with guns. Every Edgeheg attack is either a gun attack or a katana attack, so +guns will boost at least half of the attacks I get, probably more if i build my deck towards a gun-oriented strategy.

Next node is an event

Well fuck! Looks like this mod hasn't been fully tuned. -7HP is nothing for most characters, but it'll instantly kill me with my total 5HP. Unless...

A-ha! There we go. Turns out this starter relic works outside of combat too. Good thing I caught this, I was seconds away from just clicking leave. I pay 1HP to the event, and remove a basic *shoots* card from my deck. Basic strikes are gun attacks, making them slightly better with Badass Arsenal in my deck, but having a copy of inflame isn't going to stop me from removing strikes from my deck.

heh heh heh. nothing personell, big guy. u where just in my way today *noscope 1shot headshots u* *puts on sunglasses* a superior intelect alway triumph's over brute strength

The Nob defeat nets me a Frozen Egg and my next card reward

Of course I'm going to take a copy of Yandere Girlfriend+ after picking up EMI THE HEDHGEHG. Who knows how many other girlfriend cards I might pick up! It's time to build a harem.

Another event node

I dig a few times into the scrap ooze, netting a Nunchaku for my trouble. I didn't realise at the time but after looking at the Edgeheg developer's github it turns out that a couple of act 1 events have been reworked for better functionality with the class's unusual health total, which you can see from the mod detection flagging this otherwise vanilla event as being from the edgeheg mod. I don't actually know how this particular event was changed, although I do know that face of cleric has been removed from the Edgeheg's face trade matrix and that the donut max HP event has been nerfed for him.

heh heh heh, another foolish challenger thinks they can take on the edgeheg

Using the bloody katana and *dodges* cards I easily dispatch the three 1HP sentries and heal back from 2/5 to 5/5 HP in the process. Double Neow's Lament snipes ftw, folks.

The sentries drop a War Paint, which upgrades one of my copies of *dodges* and my copy of EMI THE HEDHGEHG and then it's on to my card reward.

I think the best play here is probably to snap up another copy of Emi, but in the interest of learning more about the mod I pick RANDOM instead. I later go on to find out that it literally casts a random card selected from the list of every card in the game. I've rolled several cross-class attack and block cards with it, and one time I even rolled a curse. It seems like it really can just select anything at random.

Onwards to a big chest, which yields Ornamental Fan.

The Edgeheg doesn't appear to actually be able to generate any block from class cards, only stacks of dodge, which is a single-turn single-hit damage prevention buff. The ornamental fan won't do a lot in most fights, but it should be a massive advantage in the byrds fight, which I suspect will be the second-hardest encounter in the entire game for this class.

Next up is a campfire.

What the hell does this upgrade do? The text doesn't even change!

Eventually I settle on upgrading Chaos Control, since stun is a strong ability and firing it off a turn earlier seems powerful.

Chaos control stacks are an effect you get from your 2nd starter relic, a damaru-like as well as from card abilities.

You use them to pay for costs on cards that say chaos control.

Next few nodes are just hallway fights. I kill a spike slime and a cultist and collect their card rewards.

lmao

I take the stupid card that breaks frames with its long name, of course. Turns out it spends 1 stack of chaos energy to give you 2 stacks of dodge.

I forgot to take a screenshot of it at the time, but this is the card I immediately took and upgraded from the next fight. This seems insane when compared to Badass Arsenal. Permanent strength gain, blatantly undercosted and on a repeatable skill at lower rarity to boot.

Unfortunately it turned out to not actually be so. Here's what happened when I used both *Reloads+ and Badass Arsenal in the same turn

It was a flex variant! It feels so obvious in retrospect, but I couldn't tell from the barely legible card texts and made all the wrong assumptions. At least both of the cards boost guns so I have a direction to build towards.

Even a gremlin nob that isn't being sniped to death by Neow's Lament is pretty easy for this class.

The encounter difficulty for the Edgeheg is centralised in fights like Hexaghost and Byrds. Overall it feels like you have a much safer time for most of act 1, but can suddenly be murdered by things like a big multiattack or a bad 5slimes.

Gremlin Nob dropped an Oddly Smooth Stone not great for a class that can't generate block, but there's actually some attacks that scale of dexterity in this class' cardpool so it's not totally useless

We're coming up on our act boss now and in my last hallway fight I grab a Dash Katana

I have no idea how much damage the card deals since the tooltip doesn't say, but I figure since it cantrips this can't be that much worse than Pommel Strike. My one misgiving is that it's not a gun card, since I'm trying to build towards that.

Act boss time

Hexaghost or Guardian might have been something resembling a challenge, but slimy boy doesn't stand a chance and is dispatched with ease.

The edgeheg says a memorable quote occasionally at the start of a turn. Lol @ this one.

With slime boss defeated it's time for Boss Rewards. Exciting stuff!

Okay there's really only one choice here. I HAVE to see that for myself.

For the boss relic, we pick Astrolabe, and transform two copies of *shoots* and one copy of Yandere Girlfriend (sorry Emi)

Here's the Astrolabe haul:
ImageImageImage

nuthin personnel+ feels like it could be pretty useful depending on the mechanical implementation of its effect. I appreciate the photoshop cloud render in the background of the art of Sephirots Katana+.

We move on to the first fight of act 2 and I draw my new rare.

I pay three energy and...

I really don't know what I expected.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri May 14, 2021 2:13 pm

my bet would be that that was made ironically by an adult as opposed to unironically by a teenager
u gotta skate

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:13 pm my bet would be that that was made ironically by an adult as opposed to unironically by a teenager
based on the developer's github i would say such a thing is an abject certainty. it's a pretty decent ironic work though, props to them!

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

I've been playing a bit of the JoINrbs Wanderer mod, and i downloaded that mahou shoujou mod just for Hoshi <3

I've also downloaded a couple of content mods, primarily the Hubris mod, which has been a cool look into a bunch of new relic designs

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:30 pm

I also turned on the above mods, Hayseed, plus a couple of character mods I'd never played before (Touhou Marisa, Hollow Knight, Nier; A Tomato iirc) for an absurd prismatic run

Here is my decklist from partway through that run:

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pm

imagine being a slime facing the ironclad when he pulls out the MI/Magnum Research Desert Eagle Mark XIX chambered in .50AE

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Needs more hehal

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm

pterrus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 pm Needs more hehal
oh my god, hehal would be a printable slay the spire rare card

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Alfonso was simply ahead of his time...

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri May 14, 2021 3:22 pm

amazing

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri May 14, 2021 3:27 pm

i kinda wanna play some jorbs mods

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Sat May 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Blissful wrote:Image
mmm

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 pm

well would you recommend it or not

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun May 16, 2021 6:06 am

Shiny Days wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:19 pm
mmm
whats up?

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Sun May 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Blissful wrote:whats up?
favourites lookin a bit sus, juri

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Sun May 16, 2021 3:34 pm

yeah id put slay the spire at maybe 34th place not 37th place in that list

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Shiny Days wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:45 pm
Blissful wrote:whats up?
favourites lookin a bit sus, juri

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 pm well would you recommend it or not
I don't consider it moral to do something like that

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Khaos wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:34 pm yeah id put slay the spire at maybe 34th place not 37th place in that list
steam favourites are an alphabetized list not an ordinal ranking!!

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon May 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Spoiler!