Google makes everything worse

Probably what *this* should be called.
Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Re: Google makes everything worse

Post by Skeletor » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:47 pm

ohhh
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 pm

do iphones not have the physical buttons on the side

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:00 pm

they do have a volume up and a volume down button, but the amount that they adjust the volume by is too large for me
edit: see also https://mtglitch.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 46#p151246
u gotta skate

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:45 pm

In the vein of "If you have a hammer all you see are nails" - Our global economy is built to maximize efficiency in solving the simplest state of a problem - and it's endlessly annoying.

Automation, the gig economy, lack of employee autonomy, smart devices, lean supply chains, they all come together to form absolute incompetence if things go even 1% off course. And it's all in service of making things quite a bit better in the case where everything works.

I don't particularly see anything you can do as a consumer to stop it, but I also really want to share my annoyance
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:47 pm

What I do in my own development, is what I call #YOLO automation. One pass at getting it right, if you don't, as much flexibility/configuration as you can reasonably supply. Of course, product management, like all people overvalues "certainty", so there's a natural reticence to this...
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:57 pm

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:29 am

I blame product testing
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:30 pm

Doug wrote:I blame product testing
seriously

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:31 pm

although a lot of RJ45 connectors i see don't have that boot so really i wouldn't blame anyone. it's more of a shit happens sorta deal

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 pm

Khaos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:31 pm although a lot of RJ45 connectors i see don't have that boot so really i wouldn't blame anyone. it's more of a shit happens sorta deal
Yeah, that was more or less my reaction. I went looking for a product recall because of that issue, but I couldn't find anything. I'd really like to know the model number, because that looks like a stack of switches I was running a few years back. Similar positioning, lots of ports, etc.,etc. FWIW, I never had an issue with them. :shrug:
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm

i blame the cable manufacturers who make their protective covers out of what feels like a chunk of solid unmalleable plastic. fuck those guys

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:28 pm

i'm trying out kagi.com for search. it's a paid search engine, not sure how many free searches are allowed, but so far quality seems high and it has a lot of options and customizations that seem useful

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:07 pm

lmao what the fuck

this is the craziest shit I've ever seen from a large tech company

it's not even that their infosec was bad, it's more like they had no concept of infosec at all

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Insanely, I think a lot of this would have qualified as the "material adverse effect" that Musk was looking for, and that would have allowed him to get out of buying Twitter. I think it is really that bad.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:29 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:07 pm lmao what the fuck

this is the craziest shit I've ever seen from a large tech company

it's not even that their infosec was bad, it's more like they had no concept of infosec at all
If that is all true, it goes a long way towards explaining why they had 7k people on staff for a microblogging product. They were shit at building and running a service.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pm

Ashenai wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:12 pm Insanely, I think a lot of this would have qualified as the "material adverse effect" that Musk was looking for, and that would have allowed him to get out of buying Twitter. I think it is really that bad.
Concur that this would raise to the level of materiality. Which makes me suspect that it is some combination of overstated, underinformed, and extrapolated.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 pm

Yeah I guess some of it could be bullshit. There are so many specific names and details, though. It feels like a lot of it's gotta be true.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:41 am

Ashenai wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 pm Yeah I guess some of it could be bullshit. There are so many specific names and details, though. It feels like a lot of it's gotta be true.
that seems too strong

(I have no idea what to make of it, it would be quite surprising if he dropped off a very detailed set of lies in his congressional testimony, it would also be quite surprising if what he was saying was true. a lot of what's claimed seems like stuff that could be confirmed or refuted, though, so I guess we'll see)

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:19 am

i wouldn't have been even slightly surprised if twitter 2012 or 2014 was as described, i think a lot of it probably describes facebook 2010. it was probably the default for companies founded in that era to continue operating that way weeeeeeeeell past what people might hope or expect

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:05 am

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:41 am
Ashenai wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 pm Yeah I guess some of it could be bullshit. There are so many specific names and details, though. It feels like a lot of it's gotta be true.
that seems too strong

(I have no idea what to make of it, it would be quite surprising if he dropped off a very detailed set of lies in his congressional testimony, it would also be quite surprising if what he was saying was true. a lot of what's claimed seems like stuff that could be confirmed or refuted, though, so I guess we'll see)
None of the individual claims are particularly surprising, it’s the aggregate that is the problem. All of the things described could be expected from a startup, however they are things you would expect would be resolved or otherwise mitigated by now in a company that had gone public.

I keep coming back to the idea of a company with staggering resources and a single product. These people had a hit and no clue what to do with it.

Facebook and Zuckerberg needed Sheryl Sandburg. Twitter and Dorsey apparently never found their Sandburg.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:26 am

SBF has just been arrested in the Bahamas, and is going to be extradited to the US, where criminal charges have been brought against him

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:28 am

Ashenai wrote:SBF has just been arrested in the Bahamas, and is going to be extradited to the US, where criminal charges have been brought against him
leading up to the collapse of the company him and other high ranking whoevers were in a group chat they named "Wirefraud"

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:52 am

and you just know people are going to make a big deal out it, even though it was in memory of their dear departed friend, Raud Wiref

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:36 pm

s. goblin wrote:
Ashenai wrote:SBF has just been arrested in the Bahamas, and is going to be extradited to the US, where criminal charges have been brought against him
leading up to the collapse of the company him and other high ranking whoevers were in a group chat they named "Wirefraud"
petition to rename poggi-u-dungo into wireschadenfraud

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:51 pm

Khaos wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:36 pm
s. goblin wrote:
petition to rename poggi-u-dungo into wireschadenfraud
Oh, I like that!

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm

ransom attacks continue to be wild
not that riot should be any less susceptible to such a thing, but it does feel kind of weird. you know a hospital or school getting attacked and losing its data is something that shouldnt happen and is something that should have better security, but... a tech-ish company losing the source code of one of the (formerly?) largest games in the world is a bit like huh. and so went gta 6 just a little while ago and by a teenager.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:36 pm

s. goblin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm ransom attacks continue to be wild
not that riot should be any less susceptible to such a thing, but it does feel kind of weird. you know a hospital or school getting attacked and losing its data is something that shouldnt happen and is something that should have better security, but... a tech-ish company losing the source code of one of the (formerly?) largest games in the world is a bit like huh. and so went gta 6 just a little while ago and by a teenager.
Why do you say that? Those are prime targets because they are extremely vulnerable and because they are valuable. Those are exactly the targets that you would expect. While I do think a company like Riot should be expected to have better security than average, they are a video game company. Their interests in security lie in the integrity and availability of their systems. Confidentiality is always going to be a distant third.

A lot of these targets are comprised of ancient networks, running outdated technology, that were haphazardly configured in the first place. Then we went all online all the time in the era of covid. This stuff is actually really hard to get right even if you know what you're doing and you aren't weighed down by tech debt.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:58 pm

i hate when i ctrl+click on a link and it navigates the current tab as opposed to opening a new tab
websites please
u gotta skate

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:21 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:36 pm
s. goblin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm ransom attacks continue to be wild
Why do you say that? Those are prime targets because they are extremely vulnerable and because they are valuable. Those are exactly the targets that you would expect. While I do think a company like Riot should be expected to have better security than average, they are a video game company. Their interests in security lie in the integrity and availability of their systems. Confidentiality is always going to be a distant third.

A lot of these targets are comprised of ancient networks, running outdated technology, that were haphazardly configured in the first place. Then we went all online all the time in the era of covid. This stuff is actually really hard to get right even if you know what you're doing and you aren't weighed down by tech debt.
also riot says they're not paying and that's 100% what i'd expect. there's no payoff to this target

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:14 pm

Skeletor wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:21 pm

also riot says they're not paying and that's 100% what i'd expect. there's no payoff to this target
Same.